Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sportscenter bias?

     Last summer, there was so much to talk about in the world of sports. So much so, that Prestige World Wide Sports Inc. could have filled a three hour time slot without any breaks.

     However, there was only two words that you would ever hear on sportscenter: NBA lockout. This got me so frustrated because I did not want to hear a play by play analysis of the collective bargaining agreement. Rather, I wanted to hear about things that happened in the previous day like MLB games, college football, etc. Oh no, the people who layout the show for sportscenter refused to throw in even a score update into that first half hour of the show.

    The worse part was, the NBA season was still THREE months away when it was getting 24/7 media attention. Fast forward to the summer of 2012. The NHL is currently in a lockout. My estimated amount of time hearing sports center mention the NHL lockout....give or take 45 seconds. Why? I do not understand why basketball gets THAT much more coverage on ESPN. Those who are not avid hockey followers like myself, probabaly did not even no the league was locked out until a few days after Betman closed the doors.

   Though the NHL has made strides in gaining national popularity, I still feel there is an unfair bias towards the sport. I just hope this current lockout does not kill the passionate fan base that does exist. My guess is, it will not, and you guys at ESPN, when I have your job, just turn on the NBA network if you want a breath by breath breakdown of Lebron James' rebound.

No comments:

Post a Comment